While many funeral homes today are owned and operated by a corporation, that often resides in another city or state. Lacy Funeral Home has a history of local owners that have always served only Stephenville.
Brinkie Trewitt was the founder of the Trewitt Funeral Home sometime in the early 1920s. Before that, it was part of the Hardin Lumber Yard. After his death in the early 1940s, the funeral home was operated by his wife, Lillie, and their son-in-law, Scott Reed, following his discharge from the Army at the end of World War II.
Lyle Lacy purchased the funeral home in 1971, and it was named Trewitt-Reed-Lacy Funeral Home. He stayed at the original location until 1975 when a new funeral home was built at the present location, 1380 Harbin Drive, Stephenville, Texas. At that time, the name was changed to Lacy Funeral Home.